The EU supported project IMED-KOMM-EU – Intercultural Medical Communication in Europe -started in October 2012 under the direction of IIK Institute for Intercultural Communication inc. (Ansbach, Berlin, Jena, Erfurt) within the framework of the LEONARDO ITP Programme of the European Commission with partners from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovakia.
Objectives of the proposed project are primarily: the development, but especially the systematization, modernization, testing, correction, valorization and sustainable distribution of modern, innovative learning materials, including those of language learning, tests and certification techniques (ECL) for the intercultural professional communication of foreign doctors and further medical staff in the countries of the Consortium and in other European Member States. The courses will much better enable the target groups to take advantage of the possibilities of communicating within Europe and of doing cross-border work in the EU Member States. Based on the consortium’s own research and an analysis of the requirements and the teaching experience, the materials developed in the transfer projects as well as other materials will be systematized, updated and applied, integrated into a new, customized learning environment. Thus they will be turned to practical use for adult education, for vocational training, and training within the five complete blended learning courses mentioned above. The main products are five modern, interconnected Web pages and teacher's guides in German, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Slovak, and Czech. Practical modules provide complex exercises of medical communication carried out both online and offline.
The products to be transferred are the following:
- Online-MOODLE course "German for physicians", Varna (2011)
Course for medical students coming from different fields of medicine
- LEONARDO project BG/99/1/086052/PI/III.I.a/FPC
German for foreign medical staff on a CD-ROM
- LINGUA project 72093-CP-2-2001-1-HU-LINGUA-LD and ff.
Equal rights for target languages of the EU (http://www.eclexam.eu)
Complex standardized language screening tests (ECL), having been developed after the project had been started, been transferred to new areas and introduced in other countries.
- Collection "Theory and Practice of Teaching DaF/DaZ Today", Publishing House Peter Lang 2011, ISBN 978-3-631-61721-2
- LEONARDO project No. LLP-LdV-TOI-2007-TR-071 elancom (http://www.elancom.eu/english/site.html)
Audio and video files offering typical situations occurring in the medical practice
- Project-related research on the key areas of the project (especially concerning the products/materials) in the partners' countries and their publication
- Development of a standardized methodological- didactic concept of the five courses; setting the topics for the programmed & presence exercises
- Development of a tutor's guide supplying teachers with scenarios for working with the five BL courses
- Development of five connected interactive blended-learning websites showing manuals, programmed & presence exercises, videos, audio recordings, instructions, glossary, ECL tests, podcasts/videocasts, Wikis, links, quizzes, online surveys, forms, statistics, blogs, photo galleries concerning medical communication
- Development of a differentiated internal project page (intranet) for internal communication
- New ECL test materials in the 5 partner languages: curricula, sample tests, standard tests
- Ensuring the valorization: gaining sustainability via a valorization advisory board & valorization workshops as well as conferences
Further information will be found in